Epic provides skilled nursing visits for clients with mental health or developmental diagnoses that affect their ability to care for themselves.
Our qualified, licensed mental health nurses serve as home care case managers. During each home visit, the nurses provide behavioral health interventions and address any medical issues.
A medical nurse may also perform home visits, especially when the medical issues are complex. This enables the medical and behavioral health nurses to collaborate on the plan of care.
Skilled nursing services for behavioral health clients are currently only available in Massachusetts.
Behavioral health nursing visits may include:
- Mental status exam
- Assessment of cardiopulmonary status
- Assessment of gastrointestinal and GYN/urinary systems
- Assessment of neurological status
- Assessment of pain, integumentary (skin) system and musculoskeletal system
- Long-acting antipsychotic medication injections
- Endocrine balance assessment
- Wound care and post-surgical care
- Intravenous therapy
- Venipuncture (blood draws)
Nurses provide instruction and interventions in the following areas:
- Medication management
- Management of disorders
- Nutrition monitoring and planning
- Self esteem
- Coping skills
- Relaxation techniques
- Home safety and sanitation
- Interactive skills
- Behavioral and emergency plans
- Risk of non-compliance
- Wound care treatments
Additional services include:
- Community resource referrals
- Case conferences with all providers (case workers, supportive housing workers, physicians and therapists)
- Evaluation and referral to other agency disciplines (physical, occupational and speech therapy, and home health aides)
- Lifestyle management program
To learn more about our skilled nursing services for adult behavioral health clients, contact the Massachusetts office nearest you.